Tipsy Christmas wassail (mulled cider)
- January 2012
- For lots of people (makes 3.25 litres)
- Ready in 15 minutes
This sweetly spiced mulled cider is quick and easy to make for a crowd – it will also go down a treat as you decorate the Christmas tree.
Want the bonhomie without the booze? Try this non-alcoholic mulled wine.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.3g (14g sugars)
- 5 x 500ml bottles dark ale (not stout)
- 1 bottle (75cl) Madeira
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 5 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- Put the ale, Madeira, lemons and spices in a large pan and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the brown sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, tasting until it is sweetened to your liking.
- Heat very gently for 10 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse, then serve warm.
This recipe makes a lot, which is ideal if you’re having a crowd of guests over, or you can halve the quantity for a smaller number. The slightly bitter taste of the ale is counterbalanced by the sweet Madeira, so even those who don’t like beer will find the potion irresistible.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...