Tofu and mushroom pad Thai
- June 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 mins, plus 15 mins cooking time
This vegetarian version of the classic Thai dish pad Thai is a moreish meal-in-one.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 22.7g (3.6g saturated)
- 87.6g (16.7g sugars)
- 300g thin rice noodles
- 3 tbsp prepared tamarind paste
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp palm sugar
- 4 tbsp vegetable or groundnut oil
- 500g firm tofu, cut into strips 5mm wide and patted dry
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Thai or regular shallots, finely chopped
- 300g Oriental mushrooms, torn or sliced
- 1-2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- Bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, halved and finely sliced
- Handful fresh chives, snipped
- Bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Place the noodles in a large bowl and pour over warm water to cover. Leave to soak for 20 minutes or until soft, then drain.
- Meanwhile, make the sweet-and-sour paste. Mix the tamarind paste with a little hot water to loosen. Add the soy sauce and palm sugar; mix, taste and adjust to give a nice combination of sweet, salty and sour.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Fry the tofu in batches for 3-4 minutes until golden and beginning to crisp. Remove from the wok and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok and fry the garlic and shallots for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and red chilli and cook for 2 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the noodles and stir-fry for 2 minutes, then push to one side. Add the eggs and allow to set, then scramble and mix with the noodles.
- Add the sweet-and-sour paste and stir well. Toss in the spring onions, carrot and tofu and cook for a few minutes. Divide among serving bowls, sprinkle with the herbs, and serve with the lime wedges.
Rate & review
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...