Tomato and spicy sausage baked eggs with cornbread
- March 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 45 minutes to make and about 30 minutes in the oven
A mouthwatering, filling meal of eggs, sausages and tomatoes, that costs less than £5 to make. The quick-and-easy-to-make cornbread is an added bonus.
- 41g (16.2g saturated)
- 80.9g (12.6g sugars)
For the cornbread
- 40g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 200g plain flour
- 150g cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated mature Cheddar
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml milk
For the eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 150g spicy chorizo, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 large eggs
- ½ mild green chilli, deseeded and chopped, to serve (optional)
- Make the cornbread. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Grease a 16cm x 25cm shallow roasting tin. Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, chillies, cheese and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Beat the eggs, milk and 40g butter in another bowl, then gently mix into the dry ingredients. Pour into the tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large ovenproof frying pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the chorizo and cook until the juices are released. Stir in the pepper, then the tomatoes and bring to a simmer with 100ml water. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until the pepper is soft and the mixture is thickened. Season.
- Make 4 wells in the tomato mix. Crack in the eggs and bake for 3-4 minutes to set. Garnish with chilli, if using, and serve with the cornbread.
Opt for canned ratatouille instead of the chopped tomatoes, if you like.
To freeze: freeze the cornbread for up to 3 months. Thaw, slice and serve.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter