Tomato tarte tatin
- September 2011
- Serves 4
- 10 minutes to make 25 minutes to cook
This vegetarian tomato tarte tatin recipe is a clever savoury twist on a classic French dessert.
- 13.4g (6.5g saturated)
- 21.4g (4g sugars)
- 350g baby plum or piccolo tomatoes
- Handful of fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked, plus extra to serve
- 1-2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 375g pack all-butter puff pastry
- Plain flour for dusting
- 20g Parmesan, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Leaving the tomatoes whole, mix them with the thyme leaves, then spread evenly in a heavy-based ovenproof 24cm frying pan (see tip). Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 30cm square, then cut out a rough circle a little wider than the top of the pan. (Discard the leftover pastry.)
- Sprinkle half the parmesan over the tomatoes, then top with the pastry, tucking the edges in well. Sprinkles with remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes. Stand for a couple of minutes before inverting onto a plate. Add the extra thyme sprigs and serve with a salad.
To get the correct results here, make sure it’s the top of the pan that measures 24cm.
Rate & review