Tomato tarte tatin
- September 2011
- Serves 4
- 10 minutes to make 25 minutes to cook
This vegetarian tomato tarte tatin recipe is a clever savoury twist on a classic French dessert.
- 13.4g (6.5g saturated)
- 21.4g (4g sugars)
- 350g baby plum or piccolo tomatoes
- Handful of fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked, plus extra to serve
- 1-2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 375g pack all-butter puff pastry
- Plain flour for dusting
- 20g Parmesan, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Leaving the tomatoes whole, mix them with the thyme leaves, then spread evenly in a heavy-based ovenproof 24cm frying pan (see tip). Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 30cm square, then cut out a rough circle a little wider than the top of the pan. (Discard the leftover pastry.)
- Sprinkle half the parmesan over the tomatoes, then top with the pastry, tucking the edges in well. Sprinkles with remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes. Stand for a couple of minutes before inverting onto a plate. Add the extra thyme sprigs and serve with a salad.
To get the correct results here, make sure it’s the top of the pan that measures 24cm.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Hot toffee mangoes
The sweetness of the mangoes is brought to the fore in this deliciously sticky, simple...
Mango dessert recipes
Mango baked in coconut sugar and kaffir lime with coconut ice cream
”This is a great end to a spicy meal. It makes more ice cream than...