Turkey bolognese bake
- October 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 20 min
A bubbling bolognese bake, with lean turkey mince and oozing cheese, makes a midweek hero of a dish and will become a firm family favourite in no time.
Not quite what you’re looking for? Take a look at this classic ragù and mozzarella pasta bake.
- 16.8g (8.1g saturated)
- 39.3g (11.7g sugars)
- 750g new potatoes (halved if large)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped celery sticks
- 2 chopped carrots
- 500g British free-range turkey thigh mince
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp dried Mediterranean seasoning (we used Bart)
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 400ml chicken stock
- 75g mixed grated mozzarella and cheddar
- Fresh flatleaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss 750g new potatoes (halved if large) in 1 tbsp olive oil, then roast for 15 minutes. Crush lightly with the back of the fork, then return to the oven for 15 minutes more to crisp up.
- Meanwhile, heat 25g butter in a large, deep frying pan and add 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped celery sticks and 2 chopped carrots to the pan. Fry gently for 10 minutes until softened, then turn up the heat and add 500g British free-range turkey thigh mince. Cook over a high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until browned.
- Add 3 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tbsp tomato purée and 2 tsp dried Mediterranean seasoning (we used Bart) to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
- Pour in 400g tin of chopped tomatoes and 400ml chicken stock and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is thickened and the mince is tender.
- Heat the grill to high. Spoon the turkey bolognese over the potatoes, then sprinkle over 75g mixed grated mozzarella and cheddar. Grill for 8-10 minutes until golden, then scatter with fresh flatleaf parsley to serve.
Make the bolognese, leaving off the cheeses, then cover and keep in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in a medium oven until piping hot throughout, then finish with the cheeses as in the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...