Turkey bolognese bake
- October 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 20 min
A bubbling bolognese bake, with lean turkey mince and oozing cheese, makes a midweek hero of a dish and will become a firm family favourite in no time.
Not quite what you’re looking for? Take a look at this classic ragù and mozzarella pasta bake.
Always looking for new recipe inspiration? Subscribe to delicious. Magazine and get monthly drops of recipes through your door. Get five magazines for £5.
- 16.8g (8.1g saturated)
- 39.3g (11.7g sugars)
- 750g new potatoes (halved if large)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped celery sticks
- 2 chopped carrots
- 500g British free-range turkey thigh mince
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp dried Mediterranean seasoning (we used Bart)
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 400ml chicken stock
- 75g mixed grated mozzarella and cheddar
- Fresh flatleaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss 750g new potatoes (halved if large) in 1 tbsp olive oil, then roast for 15 minutes. Crush lightly with the back of the fork, then return to the oven for 15 minutes more to crisp up.
- Meanwhile, heat 25g butter in a large, deep frying pan and add 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped celery sticks and 2 chopped carrots to the pan. Fry gently for 10 minutes until softened, then turn up the heat and add 500g British free-range turkey thigh mince. Cook over a high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until browned.
- Add 3 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tbsp tomato purée and 2 tsp dried Mediterranean seasoning (we used Bart) to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
- Pour in 400g tin of chopped tomatoes and 400ml chicken stock and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is thickened and the mince is tender.
- Heat the grill to high. Spoon the turkey bolognese over the potatoes, then sprinkle over 75g mixed grated mozzarella and cheddar. Grill for 8-10 minutes until golden, then scatter with fresh flatleaf parsley to serve.
Make the bolognese, leaving off the cheeses, then cover and keep in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in a medium oven until piping hot throughout, then finish with the cheeses as in the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter