Ultimate sausage puffs
- January 2011
- Makes 30
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 40 minutes to cook, plus cooling and chilling
Check out our sausage puffs! These posh sausage rolls make a failsafe canapé recipe. Make and freeze ahead for when required.
- 13.1g (5.8g saturated)
- 12.7g (0.5g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g sausagemeat
- 200g sliced pancetta
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Good grating of nutmeg
- 2 x 500g packs puff pastry
- Flour for dusting
- 100g Gruyère, grated
- 1 large free-range egg, lightly beaten
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat, then gently fry the shallots for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, fry for a couple of minutes, then tip into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the sausagemeat to the bowl. Finely slice a quarter of the pancetta and add. Mix well with your hands. Season, mix in the herbs and nutmeg, then shape into 30 walnut-size balls. Flatten slightly and chill until needed.
- Roll out both pastry blocks on a lightly floured surface to form two large rectangles measuring about 40cm x 24cm and the thickness of a pound coin. Cut each one into 15 squares about 8cm x 8cm. Cut the remaining pancetta slices in half and place a half piece on each square.
- Put the cheese on a plate, then roll the meatballs in the cheese to coat. Place a meatball on top of each piece of pancetta. For each puff, brush the exposed pastry edges with beaten egg, bring the four corners together over the sausagemeat to form a parcel and gently squeeze to seal. Brush the parcels all over with beaten egg and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Place the puffs on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack for a few minutes; serve warm.
Open-freeze the assembled uncooked puffs until solid. Place between sheets of baking paper in a plastic container and freeze for up to a month. Defrost fully before baking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sausage rolls with a ham and cheddar crust
These easy sausage rolls with ham and cheddar crust make a delightful party snack with...