Warm root veg orzo pilaf
- November 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This quick and easy midweek dinner is cooked entirely on the hob and is full of lots of lovely root veg. The orzo makes a nice change from your usual pasta too.
- 14.6g (2.1g saturated)
- 69.4g (22.2g sugars)
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 2 parsnips (roughly 400g)
- 400g squash (butternut or other variety)
- 200g orzo pasta
- 1 orange
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g dried cranberries
- 50g pistachios
- Large handful fresh mint
- Large handful fresh parsley
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large pan. Peel and cut the vegetables into 2cm cubes, then simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the stock into another pan, reserving the vegetables, and bring back to the boil. Add the orzo to the stock and cook according to the packet instructions until tender, then drain.
- While the orzo is cooking, grate the zest from the orange and set aside. Squeeze the juice over the vegetables and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then tip into a serving bowl.
- Add the orzo and orange zest to the bowl. Chop the cranberries, pistachios, mint and parsley, then scatter into the bowl. Taste, season with salt and pepper, then toss everything together. Drizzle with more oil to serve.
Mix in extras such as chopped fresh herbs, nuts, feta and slices of apple. Up the orzo for larger numbers.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy vegetarian recipes
Roasted onion and balsamic root vegetables with puy lentils
This delicious and simple lentil and roasted vegetable dish makes a healthy and satisfying vegetarian...