- 60g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 370g soft brown sugar
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80ml milk
- 340g plain flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 85g chopped pecans
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally.
- Using an electric hand whisk, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in the vanilla, melted chocolate and milk.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, allspice and a pinch of salt into the bowl and mix well. Stir in the pecans. Chill, covered, for 3 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets. Sift some icing sugar onto a plate. Roll heaped teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls, then roll in the icing sugar to coat. Place on the baking trays, spaced to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned and still a little soft in the centre. Leave to cool on the trays for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- These cookies will keep for 1 week in an airtight container.