- 300g self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 250g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 125g caster sugar
- You will also need: 2 or 3 flat baking sheets (or bake in batches)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Sift together the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and pale in colour (you can use a wooden spoon but it’s easier and quicker with an electric hand whisk).
- Mix in the sifted flour and cocoa – the mixture might look as if it needs liquid to bring it together, but keep working in the ingredients and it will form a dough.
- Working quickly, roll the dough between the palms of your hands into walnut-sized balls and arrange on the baking sheets, spaced well apart. Flatten the cookie dough balls with the back of the fork.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 5mins, then turn the temperature down to 170°C/150°C fan/gas 2 for a further 15-20 mins.
- The biscuits should feel firm on top but not hard. Remove from the oven and transfer to cool on a wire rack, before storing in airtight container.