600g piece skinless, boneless salmon fillet
1/2 tsp sea salt
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
Small knob of butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 fresh thyme sprigs
400g carnaroli or arborio risotto rice
250ml dry white wine, ideally Italian
1 litre good chicken stock, hot
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/ fan200°C/gas 7. Place the salmon on a baking sheet, sprinkle with the sea salt and lemon zest. Pour over the lemon juice and leave for 5 minutes. Roast for 10-12 minutes or until golden and just cooked through. Set aside to rest.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened.
3. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook vigorously for 2-3 minutes, until evaporated. Pour in the stock, a third at a time, adding more when the last is absorbed, and simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until all the liquid has evaporated and the rice is creamy and just tender.
4. Divide the risotto between bowls and flake the salmon over the top. Grind over plenty of black pepper and serve.
- Ideally, pick a rich white for drinking with this. Perhaps a modern, juicy Sicilian Chardonnay.