200ml dry white wine
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
Pinch of saffron
500g live baby clams or cockles, scrubbed clean (discard any with cracked shells)
6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cut into 1cm wide strips
400g baby squid, cleaned and cut into rings
400g raw tiger prawns, peeled
Olive oil, for drizzling
Bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
2. About 8 minutes before the pasta is ready, pour the wine into another large saucepan and add the shallot, garlic and saffron. Bring to the boil and cook vigorously for 1 minute, then add the shellfish, cover and cook over a high heat for 4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the streaky bacon in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until crisp. Set aside.
4. Add the squid and prawns to the clams, shake the pan well, then cover and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, until all the shells have opened. Discard any that do not open.
5. Drain the pasta and return to the pan, add the seafood and liquor, a splash of oil, the parsley and some black pepper. Toss well and divide between bowls. Spoon over the crisp bacon and serve while sizzling hot.