Aubergine cannelloni parmigiana
- September 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
This easy vegetarian pasta bake is ideal for busy weeknights. Stuff cannelloni with sauteed aubergine and bake with mozzarella and chilli pesto sauce.
Got some cannelloni to use up? Try our spinach and ricotta cannelloni recipe next time.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 29.6g (12.5g saturated)
- 59.9g (12.6g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 500g passata with garlic and basil
- 100g mascarpone
- 4 tbsp chilli pesto (or ’nduja pesto for non-vegetarians)
- 2 large aubergines, chopped into 2cm chunks
- 250g cannelloni tubes
- 125g mozzarella, torn into chunks
You’ll also need
- Roughly 20cm x 30cm baking dish
- Heat the oven to 200°C fan/gas 7. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 2 minutes until starting to soften. Pour in the passata and simmer over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mascarpone and pesto.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in another large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the aubergines and some salt and pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until charring and softening. Set aside to cool.
- Fill the cannelloni with the aubergine and arrange in a baking dish (they should fit snugly in an even layer). Scatter any remaining aubergine pieces around the cannelloni tubes.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the top of the pasta, spreading with a spoon to cover any exposed cannelloni. Scatter the mozzarella over the top, then bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbling. Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then serve with a crisp green salad, if you like.
Flavour boost: Add a handful of freshly torn basil leaves to the sauce and save some smaller leaves to garnish. If you like more of a garlicky flavour, add a couple of chopped garlic cloves to the onion mixture.
Rate & review