Healthier chicken satay
- May 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on 20 min, grilling 8-10 min, plus cooling and marinating
A lot of the calories in satay come from the peanut butter, so we’ve replaced a good portion of that with natural yogurt. By upping the quantity of other traditional ingredients, you still get authentic flavour but without so many calories.
- 12.5g (2.5g saturated)
- 7.7g (5.8g sugars)
- Large splash sunflower or peanut oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- Fat thumb-size piece fresh ginger, grated (no need to peel)
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 100g crunchy peanut butter
- 100g natural yogurt
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 free-range chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Lime wedges for squeezing
- Finely chopped salted peanuts, fresh coriander leaves, sliced spring onions and steamed basmati rice (optional) to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat, then add the onions. Season with salt, then fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring, until starting to soften and catching a little on the bottom of the pan. Turn down the heat a little and add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Fry for 3-4 minutes, then put on a plate to cool.
- Once cool, put in a food processor with the peanut butter, natural yogurt and soy sauce, then blend to a chunky paste. Put in a large mixing bowl, then stir the chicken into it to coat thoroughly. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat the grill to high. Thread the marinated chicken onto skewers (discard the rest of the marinade from the bowl) and put on a foil-lined baking tray. Grill for 8-10 minutes, without turning, until the chicken is cooked through and any marinade is golden brown.
- Serve the satay chicken with lime wedges for squeezing over, scattered with peanuts, coriander and spring onions, on a bed of steamed basmati rice, if you like.
Marinate the chicken overnight in the fridge, covered, then grill when you’re ready to eat.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy chicken recipes
Cheat’s chicken satay with cabbage and carrot slaw
A tub of peanut butter, a jar of curry paste and a pot of yoghurt...
Chicken breast recipes
The versatile chicken breast is anything but boring....
Chicken casserole recipes
Simmer our chicken casseroles, stews and tagines over...
Chicken curry recipes
Our chicken curry recipes feature dishes from all...
Healthy budget recipes
Eating healthily on a budget can be challenging,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...