Avocado houmous with coriander pitta
- July 2005
- Serves 6
- Ready in 15 min
This avocado houmous recipe with coriander pitta combines the usual suspects of chickpeas and tahini with yielding, ripe avocados to give a rich houmous.
Want to try a different vegetable in your houmous? How about this broad bean recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 22.7g (6.9g saturated)
- 50.6g (3.1g sugar)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 410g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Juice of ½ large lemon
- 2 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste, from major supermarkets)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Few spring onions, sliced, to garnish (optional)
For the coriander pittas
- 50g butter
- 1½ tsp coriander seeds, roughly crushed
- Handful of fresh coriander, leaves roughly torn
- 6 white pittas
- Make the avocado houmous. Halve and stone the avocado, scoop out the flesh and put it into a food processor. Add the chickpeas, garlic, ground cumin, lemon juice, tahini and olive oil and pulse until nearly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and season to taste. Drizzle with a little oil, and top with spring onion, if using.
- Make the pittas. Preheat the grill to medium. Melt the butter in a small pan over a medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the coriander seeds and leaves. Brush over 1 side of each pitta, pop 3 on a baking sheet, butter side up, and grill for 1-2 minutes until golden. Set aside while you grill the rest. Cool slightly, then slice each pitta. Serve with the houmous.
To stop the avocado houmous turning brown, cover the surface with cling film.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
April seasonal recipes
Pickled radishes with pea and broad bean houmous and knackebrod
Next time you’re expecting guests, pickle some radishes and serve them with a spring vegetable...
Healthy vegetarian recipes
Cumin and butter bean houmous & paprika pitta crisps
Healthy, nutritious and delicious. This simple cumin and butter bean houmous recipe is a great...