Pickled radishes with pea and broad bean houmous and knackebrod
- May 2017
- Serves 4-6 as a nibble
- Hands-on 35 min, oven 12-15 min, plus pickling, rising and cooling
Next time you’re expecting guests, pickle some radishes and serve them with a spring vegetable houmous and crispbreads for a light, yet satisfying nibble.
- 5.3g (0.8g saturated)
- 32.5g carbs (5.4g sugars)
For the pickled radishes
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300g radishes, finely sliced
For the knäckebröd
- 100g rye flour, plus extra for dusting and sprinkling
- 100g dark rye flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4g fast-action dried yeast
- 150-175ml lukewarm water
For the houmous
- 150g frozen peas, defrosted
- 150g frozen broad beans, defrosted and skinned
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, toasted in a dry pan, then ground in a pestle and mortar
- Large handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- To pickle the radishes, put the vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan and set over a medium heat. Warm until the sugar and salt have dissolved, then pour into a medium mixing bowl and set aside to cool. When cool, add the radishes to the pickling liquid and toss to combine. Cover and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the knäckebröd. Mix together the flours, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Pour in 150ml of the lukewarm water, then mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a dough. If it’s a little dry, add a splash more water. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Put into a lightly oiled bowl and leave in a warm place to rise for 1 hour until slightly bigger.
- Put all the houmous ingredients in a mini food processor and whizz to a coarse paste. Cover with cling film, then chill until ready to serve. Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7 and put 2 baking sheets inside.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface to 2mm thick. Remove the hot baking sheets from the oven and line with non-stick baking paper, then put 3 pieces of dough on each. Prick the dough all over with a fork, sprinkle with a little extra rye flour, then bake for 12-15 minutes until golden and crisp. Cool, then serve with the pickled radishes and houmous, drizzled with olive oil.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer salads and sides
Crayfish salad with radishes, apple and poppy seeds
Gill Meller recommends serving crayfish tails with brown bread, butter, chopped fresh dill and lemon...