Cumin and butter bean houmous & paprika pitta crisps
- June 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 mins, plus 8-10 mins baking time
Healthy, nutritious and delicious. This simple cumin and butter bean houmous recipe is a great vegetarian snack.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8.6g (1.2g saturated)
- 65.5g (10g sugars)
- 3 wholemeal pittas
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 x 420g cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp Clearspring sweet white miso (from Sainsbury’s Special Selection and health food shops)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp mirin (see tip)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, to taste
- 2 tbsp low-fat dressing (we like English Provender Co Balsamic Italian Dressing)
- 3 little gem lettuces, leaves separated and torn
- 4 ripe vine tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cucumber, diced
- Bunch of radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Split each pitta and cut into triangles. Sprinkle with the paprika and put on 1-2 baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, toast the cumin and sesame seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the seeds start to pop. Tip into a food processor with the butter beans, miso, garlic and mirin. Add 100ml water and blend until smooth. Season and add the lemon juice to taste.
- Place the low-fat dressing in a large bowl. Add the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and radishes and toss well together. Serve the salad with the butter bean houmous and pitta crisps.
If you can’t find mirin, substitute with 2 tablespoons dry sherry mixed with 1 teaspoon caster sugar.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...