Bacon, turkey and leek cannelloni
- April 2010
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 minutes to make, about 1 hour to cook, plus cooling and defrosting
This meaty pasta recipe is a substantial and satisfying dish for a family meal or small gathering.
- 28.7g (14.4g)
- 44.2g (7.5g sugar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 large leeks, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Small handful fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 500g turkey mince
- 150ml white wine
- 300ml chicken stock, hot
- 100g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 1 litre milk, warmed
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 250g cannelloni pasta tubes
- ¼ loaf ciabatta, chopped into rough crumbs
- 50g Gruyère, grated
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan, add the leek, season well and fry over a medium heat until slightly softened. Add the garlic and half the thyme and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the bacon and turkey mince, turn up the heat and fry for 5-10 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the wine and boil for a few minutes. Add the stock, bring to the boil and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes until the mince is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan, then stir in the flour to make a paste. Cook over a low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring, then gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until thick. Add the mustard, then season.
- Spoon half the sauce into a rectangular dish (about 2 litres) that will fit the pasta in 1 layer. Fill the pasta with turkey mixture and place on top of the sauce. Pour over the remaining sauce and scatter with the ciabatta crumbs and Gruyère. Drizzle with olive oil, season, and scatter with the remaining thyme. Cool, wrap in cling film and foil, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost, then bake at 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 for 30 minutes until golden and bubbling hot. Serve with a green salad.
Cover the cannelloni with cling film, then foil, to prevent freezer burn.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...