Risotto with mushrooms and radicchio
- November 2007
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 200g oyster mushrooms, shredded (not too finely)
- 30g cold unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 6 fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 300g risotto rice
- 125ml white wine
- 1 litre vegetable or light chicken stock, hot
- 1 round Venetian radicchio or 2 trevisse or tardivo radicchios, finely shredded
- 100g freshly grated vegetarian Parmesan
- Heat the oil in a wide pan over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry, until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add half the butter to the pan. Add the onion, garlic and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the rice and stir a few times until it is coated with the buttery mix.
- Add the wine and stir until it has almost been absorbed. Add just enough of the stock to cover the rice and cook gently, stirring frequently, until the stock has been absorbed. Continue gradually adding and stirring in the stock for about 20 minutes or until the rice is just al dente. If it isn’t ready, add a little more stock and continue to cook until it is.
- Fold in the mushrooms and most of the radicchio. Season and stir in the remaining butter. Set aside, covered, for 5 minutes, then fold in two-thirds of the Parmesan. Serve with the remaining radicchio on top and the remaining cheese on the side.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
This saffron risotto recipe is quick, easy and packs loads of flavour. Perfect for a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...