Banana and cardamom ‘ice cream’
- April 2017
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 10 min, plus freezing time
You won’t believe this sweet, creamy ‘ice cream’ is just made from bananas. Perfect for a dairy-free or low-calorie dessert, the recipe is taken from The Fast Days Cookbook by Laura Herring.
- 1.3g (no saturated)
- 16.3g (14.4g sugars)
- no salt
- 5 ripe medium bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- ½ tsp ground cardamom seeds
- Whizz the frozen banana pieces in a food processor until smooth and creamy. This will take a couple of minutes at least, so do it in bursts. Don’t worry if it seems like it’s not doing much to begin with; the bananas will eventually break down.
- When the bananas are looking creamy, add the almond butter to the processor and blend, then scatter over the ground cardamom seeds and whizz again. Pack the ‘ice cream’ into a freezable container with a lid and try not to eat it all at once!
“The basic recipe is just bananas and nut butter whizzed up. I think the cardamom makes a nice change, but leave it out if you’re not keen on the taste.” – Laura Herring
Keep frozen for up to a month, well sealed to prevent freezer burn.
Peanut butter also works well in this recipe but will alter the calorie count.
Rate & review