Delia’s bangers braised in cider
- February 2020
- Serves 2-3
- Hands on time 20 min, oven time 1 hour
Delia’s recipe for bangers braised in cider makes really easy comfort food. Just brown all the ingredients off in a pan before leaving to cook in the oven for an hour. It’s calling out to be served with fluffy mashed potato and some lightly cooked greens.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 454g pork sausages
- 1 medium cox’s apple, cored and sliced into rings (no need to peel)
- Freshly milled black pepper
- A little oil for frying
- 200g smoked lardons
- 225g small shallots
- 1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
- 375ml strong dry cider
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rounded teaspoon freshly chopped thyme, plus a few sprigs
You’ll also need…
- A medium flameproof casserole with a tight-fitting lid
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (gas mark 4).
- Place the casserole over a medium heat, add a little oil and when it’s hot, brown the sausages all round – it’s important to get them well browned.
- Then, using a draining spoon, remove them to a plate whilst you brown the lardons and shallots lightly. When that’s done, sprinkle in the flour to soak up the juices, then gradually stir in the cider. Now pop the sausages back in along with the garlic, bay leaf, fresh thyme and sprigs. Add some freshly milled black pepper (no salt needed).
- Now put a lid on as soon as it begins to simmer, then transfer it to the oven for 30 minutes. After that remove the lid and let it continue to cook for a further 20-30 minutes. Towards the end of the time, fry the apple rings in butter till golden and soft, and garnish the casserole with them. This is obviously going to need some very creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes, and depending on the time of year, I would serve some tender, squeaky, lightly cooked spring greens.
Recipe © Delia Smith 2008, Delia’s Frugal Food, published by Hodder and Stoughton. Click here for more Delia recipes, cookery school videos, information on bakeware and ingredients.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Classic yorkshires with onion gravy and sausages
A classic dish that combines three British favourites in one: Yorkshire puds, bacon-wrapped sausages and...