Black cod with white miso and pickled ginger
- October 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, plus 24 hours' to marinade
White miso black cod is a wonderful Japanese dish. The hot, sweet and sour flavours are balanced perfectly for a real taste sensation in this recipe.
- 1.8g (0.2g saturated)
- 11.5g (8.4g sugars)
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp sake
- 250g sweet white miso
- 1 tbsp ginger juice (the liquid from
- a jar or pack of pickled ginger)
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated fresh lemon zest
- ½ green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 4 x 150g black cod fillets (also known as sablefish, or use line-caught cod)
- 2 spring onions, shredded, to serve
- Pickled ginger
- Put the sugar and sake in a pan over a low heat and cook, stirring, to dissolve the sugar. Put into a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients, except the cod, and mix until smooth. Add the cod and turn to coat in the marinade. Cover and marinate for 24 hours, turning the fish over halfway.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Lift the cod from the marinade and transfer to a foil-lined grill pan. Pop under the grill and cook, basting with the marinade a few times, for 3-5 minutes each side, until just cooked. 3. Garnish with the shredded spring onion and pickled ginger.
Most larger supermarkets stock sake, mirin and pickled ginger. For unusual ingredients, such as miso paste, visit Japanese food stores, health food stores or Wing Yip, which has stores in Birmingham, Manchester and London.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lightly curry-spiced cod with red wine sauce and lentils
Good red wine isn’t just a great partner for food, it can make a fine...