Bloody mary crabcakes
- May 2017
- Makes 8 crabcakes (to serve 2) or 10-12 to serve as a nibble
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus chilling
Quick to make and easy to devour – these pepped-up crabcakes won’t be left untouched. Perfect as dinner party nibbles or a light summery starter.
- 21.3g (4.1g saturated)
- 26.7g (2g sugars)
For two people
- 75g Carrs Cheese Melts (or similar cheese crackers)
- 2 x 100g packs Seafood & Eat It Fifty Fifty Cornish Crab, from Waitrose (or ask your fishmonger for 100g white and 100g brown crabmeat)
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped, plus leaves to garnish
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 5 drops Tabasco or to taste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Chilli sauce for dipping (optional)
- Put the crackers in a food processor and whizz to fine crumbs. Transfer 40g to a bowl, then reserve the rest on a plate for the coating.
- Add the crabmeat, chopped celery, spring onion, tarragon, lemon zest and juice, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and a twist of black pepper to the cracker crumbs in the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Using 2 teaspoons, divide the crab mixture into 8 equal-size patties (or 10-12 mini cakes). Coat each one in the reserved cracker crumbs, then place on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper. Chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat a glug of oil in a wide, shallow frying pan until it starts to shimmer. Cook the crabcakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until deep golden and crisp. Work in batches, wiping out the pan with kitchen paper and adding more oil if necessary.
- Serve the crabcakes garnished with celery leaves, with lemon wedges to squeeze over and chilli sauce for dipping, if you like.
Make the crabcakes to the end of step 3 up to 24 hours ahead; cover and chill, then cook as in step 4.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Crab and potato pasties
Ideal for picnics and eating al fresco, pasties are a classic for a reason. We’ve...
Classic Cornish pasties
Debbie Major turns her expert hand to proper Cornish pasties made with braising steak, tweaking...