Bloody mary crabcakes
- May 2017
- Makes 8 crabcakes (to serve 2) or 10-12 to serve as a nibble
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus chilling
Quick to make and easy to devour – these pepped-up crabcakes won’t be left untouched. Perfect as dinner party nibbles or a light summery starter.
- 21.3g (4.1g saturated)
- 26.7g (2g sugars)
For two people
- 75g Carrs Cheese Melts (or similar cheese crackers)
- 2 x 100g packs Seafood & Eat It Fifty Fifty Cornish Crab, from Waitrose (or ask your fishmonger for 100g white and 100g brown crabmeat)
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped, plus leaves to garnish
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 5 drops Tabasco or to taste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Chilli sauce for dipping (optional)
- Put the crackers in a food processor and whizz to fine crumbs. Transfer 40g to a bowl, then reserve the rest on a plate for the coating.
- Add the crabmeat, chopped celery, spring onion, tarragon, lemon zest and juice, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and a twist of black pepper to the cracker crumbs in the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Using 2 teaspoons, divide the crab mixture into 8 equal-size patties (or 10-12 mini cakes). Coat each one in the reserved cracker crumbs, then place on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper. Chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat a glug of oil in a wide, shallow frying pan until it starts to shimmer. Cook the crabcakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until deep golden and crisp. Work in batches, wiping out the pan with kitchen paper and adding more oil if necessary.
- Serve the crabcakes garnished with celery leaves, with lemon wedges to squeeze over and chilli sauce for dipping, if you like.
Make the crabcakes to the end of step 3 up to 24 hours ahead; cover and chill, then cook as in step 4.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
English crabcakes with tarragon mayonnaise
The aniseed notes of the tarragon mayonnaise beautifully complement these luscious crisp crabcakes. They’re perfect...
Easy Maryland crabcakes
A quick and easy crabcake recipe made from British crabmeat perfect for a midweek meal.
Home-salted cod fishcakes with salsa verde mayonnaise
Crisp, golden and served with a creamy salsa verde – this Debbie Major fishcake recipe...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...