Broad beans, peas with mozzarella and parma ham crumble
- July 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
A vibrant broad bean recipe showcasing the best of the summer’s green veg – with a ball of creamy mozzarella to finish it off.
- 19.5g (9.8g saturated)
- 8.8g (1.8g sugars)
- 250g shelled broad beans (about 500g in-pod weight)
- 150g shelled fresh peas (about 300g in-pod weight)
- 3 parma ham slices
- 40g shelled pistachios, chopped
- Handful lamb’s lettuce or pea shoots
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- Zest 1 lemon
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- 2 x 125g good quality buffalo mozzarella balls, torn in half
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, then add the broad beans and peas and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Drain, refresh under cold water until completely cool, then slip the broad beans out of their skins. Pat dry, then set aside.
- Heat a frying pan and, when hot, add the ham slices. Cook for a few minutes on each side until crisp (see tip). Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and leave to harden, then crumble into a bowl. Toss with the pistachios, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the beans and peas with the lettuce/pea shoots, mint leaves and lemon zest. Drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil, season, then divide among 4 plates. Add half a mozzarella ball to each, scatter the crumble over and drizzle with more oil. Season, then serve.
Make sure the ham is crisp before taking it off the heat, otherwise it won’t crumble.
Rate & review