Flame-baked cauliflower kebabs
- June 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 45 min
Kebabs aren’t just made with meat you know! Try these charred cauliflower beauties, marinated in harissa and yoghurt and sprinkled with smoked almonds and jalapeños. They’ll be the most popular thing on the barbecue!
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13.2g (1.6g saturated)
- 42.9g (8.9g sugars)
- Handful fresh herbs (we like parsley, mint, coriander and dill), leaves and stalks chopped separately
- 3 tbsp rose harissa
- 5 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 large cauliflower, tough outer leaves removed
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 garlic bulb
- Bunch spring onions
- 4-6 flatbreads
- Small handful pickled green chillies (we used Cooks&Co)
- 2 jalapeño chillies, sliced
- 50g smoked almonds, chopped
- Light the barbecue and heat until the coals are glowing white (or heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6).
- Mix the chopped herb stalks in a bowl with 2 tbsp harissa and 3 tbsp yogurt and season. Rub all over the cauliflower, working it between the remaining leaves. Tightly wrap the cauliflower in a layer of baking paper followed by foil, adding a drizzle of olive oil before sealing it closed. Wrap the garlic bulb in foil, drizzling with a little oil and seasoning before sealing to close.
- Put the wrapped cauliflower and garlic on the barbecue, cover with the lid and cook for 20-30 minutes, testing with a skewer to check they’re done – see tip. (If using the oven, cook on a baking tray for 40 minutes until just tender.) See Make Ahead.
- Set the garlic aside until ready to use. Carefully unwrap the cauliflower and cut into 4-6 wedges, then set on the barbecue grill. Toss the spring onions with a drizzle of oil and cook alongside the cauliflower wedges for about 5 minutes until everything is lightly charred, turning halfway through. Alternatively, cook the spring onions on a hot griddle pan until lightly charred (you may need to do this in batches).
- Gently warm the flatbreads on the barbecue (or griddle pan), squeeze over a little roasted garlic, then top with a cauliflower wedge and charred spring onion. Drizzle with the remaining harissa and yogurt, then scatter with the chillies, herbs and smoked almonds to serve.
The cauliflower cooking time will depend on its size. It’s done when a skewer easily pierces the stalk. Mix any leftover roasted garlic with softened butter and spread over crusty bread or pizza bases.
Complete to the end of step 3 up to 2 days ahead, cover and chill, then continue.
Chill a dry rosé from Bordeaux or a lemony picpoul from the Languedoc region.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower steaks with caper butter and parsley breadcrumbs
”This makes an excellent vegetarian main course option if you add a grain salad to...
Spiced cauliflower steaks, halloumi and pickled red onions
This easy vegetarian tray bake recipe sees spiced cauliflower steaks, grilled halloumi and sweet pomegranate...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...