Creamy potato and onion gratin
- November 2005
- 40g melted butter, plus extra to grease
- 1.3kg potatoes
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 284ml carton double cream
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Grease a deep, 2-litre baking dish with butter.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, placing them in a bowl of water to prevent discolouring. Drain then pat dry with a clean tea towel. Arrange with half the onion slices in the dish, overlapping them, and seasoning and drizzling with the melted butter as you go. Finish the top layer neatly with the remaining onion. Top with a bay leaf, then pour over the cream.
- Cover with foil, place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven below the beef for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for a further 30 minutes, until tender and golden.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Slivered potatoes with white onion and Lancashire cheese
Something like a French dauphinoise or gratin potato recipe ”this...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter