Cheat’s beef tacos
- January 2010
- Serves 2
- Ready in 15 minutes
These beef tacos are so easy to prepare and ready in just 15 minutes – the perfect recipe to add a touch of Mexican spice to your midweek meal.
- ½ x 150g pack finely chopped shallots (or use 3-4 shallots)
- 1 tbsp Discovery Mexican Taco Spice Mix (from Waitrose) or any Mexican spice mix
- 250g pack lean minced organic beef
- 2 limes
- 100g vine cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Small handful fresh basil, chopped
- 1 little gem lettuce, roughly shredded
- 1 pack Old El Paso Taco Shells (from major supermarkets), warmed
- Tub of soured cream and grated cheddar, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped shallots and fry for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add the spice mix, fry for 1 minute, then add the mince, increase the heat, and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown all over.
- Pour in 300ml water, bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Add the zest and juice of 1 lime and season to taste.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato salsa by mixing the tomatoes with the basil, 1-2 tbsp olive oil and a squeeze of lime, and season to taste.
- Place a little shredded lettuce into each warmed taco shell, divide the mince among the shells and serve with a dollop of the tomato salsa, some soured cream, grated Cheddar and lime wedges to squeeze over, if you like.
Rate & review