Cheat’s red pepper and goat’s cheese tarts
- June 2010
- Serves 2
- Takes 10 min to make, 10-12 min to cook, plus cooling
It’s amazing what delights you can create using your imagination and some ready-rolled puff pastry, as this vegetarian cheesy tart recipe proves.
- ½ x 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry, at room temperature
- 2 heaped tbsp red pesto
- 290g jar roasted red peppers in oil, drained
- 100g mild goat’s cheese, cut into 4 rounds
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds
- Heat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Unroll the pastry and cut in half. Re-roll half and freeze for later use. Cut the reserved half into 2 equal rectangles and transfer to a lightly oiled baking tray. Score a 1cm border around the edge of each pastry rectangle.
- Divide the pesto between the tarts, spreading it within the border. Cut the peppers into large chunks and arrange on top. Add 2 slices of goat’s cheese to each tart, then sprinkle over the thyme and almonds. Season with pepper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the pastry is golden and cooked through. Cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
Rate & review