Tomato and goat’s cheese tarts
- May 2004
- Serves 4
- Ready in 25 minutes
Ready-rolled puff pastry makes this simple tomato and goat’s cheese tart recipe very quick to make.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 375g packet ready-rolled puff pastry
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 150g goat’s cheese
- 250g punnet vine cherry or pomodorino tomatoes, halved
- 1 egg, beaten with a little water
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Large sprigs basil leaves, to garnish
- 4 slices Parma ham (optional)
- Rocket, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Open out the pastry on a surface lightly dusted with flour. Trim off the edges to neaten – you don’t have to do this but I think it gives better results. Cut the pastry to make 4, equal-size squares and put on a baking tray. Chill until the filling is ready.
- Break the cheese into craggy pieces. Arrange the tomato halves and goat’s cheese in the centre of each pastry square. Don’t worry if the piles look quite high, the pastry will cook up around them. Season well, then brush the edges with the beaten egg and pop in the oven for 15-18 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Serve as they are, hot from the oven, drizzled with a little olive oil and garnished with a large basil sprig. Or top each tart with a slice of Parma ham before garnishing with the basil and rocket.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tenderstem and spring onion galettes with goat’s cheese
This open-face style tart recipe is called a galette. It’s packed with fresh spring veg...