- December 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 20-25 minutes in the oven
This easy vegetarian cheese soufflé recipe is sure to delight your dinner guests this Christmas.
- 19.7g (11.3g saturated)
- 10.9g (3.9g sugar)
- 25g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 25g flour, plus extra for dusting
- 225ml milk
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 12 black peppercorns
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 100g Mrs Kirkham’s Lancashire cheese (or good-quality Lancashire cheese), grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4. Grease 4 x 150ml ramekins and tip a little flour into one of them. Roll the ramekin around to coat the base and sides with flour, then tap the excess into a second ramekin. Repeat until each is coated with flour, then sit them in a small roasting tray.
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk, onion and peppercorns almost to a simmer, then strain into a jug, discarding the solids.
- Return the pan to a medium heat and melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the infused milk, letting the flour begin to bubble before each addition, until you have a smooth sauce. Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks and thyme, then 75g of the cheese.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Mix a small spoonful into the sauce to loosen it, then gently fold in the remainder.
- Divide the mixture between the ramekins and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Pour just-boiled water into the roasting tray until it comes a third of the way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until risen, just set and golden. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and serve immediately with dressed watercress and SunBlush tomatoes, if you like.
If you’re cooking ahead, leave the soufflés to cool in the ramekins, then cover with cling film and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature and reheat on a baking sheet in the oven at 190C/fan170C/gas 5 for 12-14 minutes or until risen and hot.
Rate & review
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...