Chicken and pearl barley broth
- January 2014
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 1 hour 25-30 min
A hearty warming chicken soup recipe that’s just about perfect for a chilly day.
- 4.5g (1.6g saturated)
- 25.9g (4.1g sugars)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large leek, sliced
- Knob of butter
- 1 free-range chicken – about 1.6kg
- 200g pearl barley
- 2 large handfuls of frozen peas
- Put the onions, carrots, leek and butter in a large, heavy-based lidded pan and cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft but not coloured and the onions are translucent.
- Season the chicken and add to the pan, pour in 2 litres cold water to almost cover, then heat to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour, skimming off any scum that forms on the surface.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, then pull off and shred the meat from the carcass. Set aside.
- Add the pearl barley and the chicken carcass to the broth, then cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the pearl barley is cooked but still has some bite to it. Remove and discard the chicken carcass, then add the chicken meat, along with any juices. Add the peas, then taste and season. Cook for another 5 minutes, then serve the broth in bowls with crusty buttered bread on the side.
Next time, add star anise, fresh ginger and chilli. Stir in broken rice noodles, 2-3 minutes before the end, instead of the barley.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...