- March 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook, plus 25 minutes chilling
Our homemade chicken kiev recipe is quick and easy and even better, you can make extra and freeze them for an even speedier supper next time.
We’ve got a similar, more garlicky version on the site too.
- 32.5g (12.9g saturated)
- 19.3g (1.3g sugars)
- 75g unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Small handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 4 skinless free-range chicken breasts
- Plain flour for dusting, seasoned
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Green salad to serve
- In a bowl, mix together the butter, garlic and parsley. Season well, then spoon onto a sheet of cling film. Shape into a log (about 10cm x 4cm) and freeze for 15 minutes until solid.
- Meanwhile, put the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of cling film and bash with a rolling pin until completely flattened. Take the butter from the freezer and slice into thin rounds. Divide evenly among the flattened chicken breasts, then bring the edges of the chicken over the butter to form a neat parcel with the seam on top. Invert onto a plate or board, so the seal is underneath, then chill for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Dust each Kiev in seasoned flour, then dip in the egg, followed by the breadcrumbs. Make sure they’re well coated.
- Heat a generous layer of oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Put the Kievs in the pan, with the seal underneath, and fry for 5-7 minutes, turning to brown all over. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. Serve with mashed potato or a green salad.
Try using herbs such as thyme or tarragon in the garlic butter.
Freeze the uncooked Kievs on a baking sheet, then keep in sealed containers, between sheets of baking paper, for up to 1 month. Cook from frozen for 45-50 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...