Chickpea, orzo and tomato stew with feta and dill
- September 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 20 min
Your favourite orzo recipe on this site! This is a tasty, easy-to-make one-pot veggie dish proves that healthy family food doesn’t need to break the bank.
Discover more of our one-pot recipes here.
- 10g (4.2g saturated)
- 52.2g (7.5g sugars)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 200g orzo
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Handful fresh dill, chopped
- 100g vegetarian feta, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Fry gently for 6-8 minutes until softened but not coloured. Turn up the heat slightly, add most of the chilli flakes and all the mustard seeds, then fry for 1-2 minutes more until the mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Stir in the orzo, then pour in the tomatoes, stock and chickpeas. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce has thickened and orzo is tender.
- Stir in most of the dill, then check and adjust the seasoning (be careful with the salt as feta can be salty). Serve in warmed bowls sprinkled with the feta, remaining dill and chilli flakes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer stew recipes and pot roasts
Borlotti and runner beans with sage, tomato and garlic
Completely vegetarian, completely gluten free, completely scrumptious – a great...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter