Chocolate and hazelnut pithivier
- April 2011
- Serves 10-12
- Hands on time 10 mins, 40 mins cooking time, plus chilling time
The pithivier orginates from France. Wow your friends and family with this rich chocolate and hazelnut pithivier recipe.
You might also like our golden and delicious classic almond pithivier.
- 22.8g (8.2g saturated)
- 33.3g (18.8g sugars)
For 12 servings
- 150g good-quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 150g blanched hazelnuts
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 20g good-quality cocoa powder
- 2 free-range egg yolks, plus 1 egg white
- 25g salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp dark rum (optional)
- Flour for dusting
- 425g pack ready-rolled puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed if frozen
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Whizz the chocolate, hazelnuts, sugar and cocoa in a food processor until finely crumbled. Add the egg yolks, butter and rum (optional), then whizz again until the mixture forms a firm paste.
- On a lightly floured surface lay out both pastry sheets and, with a floured knife, cut out a 24cm circle and a 26cm circle. Put the smaller one on a non-stick baking sheet and pile the chocolate filling in the centre, keeping a 1cm border at the edge.
- Lightly beat the egg white and brush some over the border. Lay the larger circle on top, smoothing with your hands to expel any air. Firmly pinch the edges to seal. Ideally, chill for 30 minutes, loosely wrapped in baking paper, then cling film.
- Using a knife, score (about halfway through the pastry) the top of the pithivier in curved spokes. Brush with the remaining egg white and bake for 40 minutes. (Lower the oven temperature slightly if it browns too quickly.) Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.
Cool, wrap in baking paper, then cling film, and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost fully, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chocolate tarts, tortes and pies
Chocolate, hazelnut and cherry tart with burnt meringue
Make way for the Queen of tarts; Her Royal Majesty...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter