- Sunflower oil for greasing
- 6 medium free-range egg whites
- 330g golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 60g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp espresso coffee powder dissolved in 1 tsp boiling water
- Handful flaked almonds
- Dark chocolate, melted, to drizzle
For the chocolate spread
- 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped into chunks
- 50g salted butter
- 120ml double cream
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
For the cream filling
- 200ml double cream
- 40g icing sugar
- 1 tsp espresso coffee powder, dissolved in 1 tsp boiling water
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Line a 23cm x 33cm lipped swiss roll tin or baking tray with baking paper, then lightly oil the paper.
- In a large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer until thick, glossy and holding medium peaks. On a low speed, whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then add the flour, ground almonds and coffee until just combined.
- Spread the meringue evenly into the tin, scatter over the flaked almonds, then bake for 8 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 160°C/140°C fan/ gas 4 and cook for a further 20-25 minutes. Lift the meringue from the tin on its paper and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack, then invert onto another piece of baking paper to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate spread: melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (don’t let the water touch the bowl). When melted, add the butter and stir gently, then leave to cool for 15 minutes. Add the cream gradually, beating between additions with a balloon whisk, then add the salt. Spread evenly over the cooled meringue, then chill the whole dessert for 15 minutes.
- For the cream filling, put the cream, icing sugar and coffee in a clean mixing bowl. Whisk with an electric mixer until it starts to thicken. Continue in bursts until you get soft peaks (that fall over).
- Spread the cream on top of the chocolate spread. Starting with a short edge, carefully roll up the meringue, using the baking paper to help. Wrap the paper tightly around and chill for at least 3 hours. To serve, put on a plate, drizzle with melted chocolate and slice.