- March 2009
- For 2-4 people
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 25 minutes to cook
Colcannon soup is the kind of thing you want to eat when the frost is on the ground – a great supper, especially with grilled rashers of dry-cured bacon on toasted soda bread.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 49.1g (29.5g saturated)
- 18.7g (5.3g sugars)
For 4 servings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g (2 large) floury potatoes, thinly sliced
- About 800ml ham stock or chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 200g kale or cabbage, shredded
- 300ml double cream
- Heat the butter in a large pan over a low heat. Add the onion, garlic and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes without colouring. Pour over enough stock to cover, add the bouquet garni and season to taste. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the kale, bring back to the boil, then remove from the heat. Pour in the cream. (You can transfer the soup to a food processor, remove the bouquet garni, and whizz to a purée, if you like. Put back on the hob to heat up.) Check the seasoning. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Rate & review