Lentil and herb soup
- February 2015
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 15-20 min, simmering time 35 min
Anjum Anand’s Ayurvedic soup recipe is hearty and healthy whether you follow the discipline or not. Find out your body type by clicking the link below.
- 9.8g (1.4g saturated)
- 40.8g (5.4g sugars)
For 3 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- ½ leek, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 650ml fresh vegetable stock
- 200g puy lentils
- Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Add the rosemary, thyme, onion, carrot, celery and leek, then cover and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the garlic, chilli flakes, stock and lentils. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer on a low heat for around 25 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Pour about one third of the soup into a blender and whizz, then stir back into the soup. Add the chopped parsley and lemon juice, taste and season generously with salt and pepper. Remove and discard the sprigs of rosemary and thyme. If you prefer a thinner consistency add a little hot water from the kettle, then serve.
Anjum says: “One-pot meals that cook slowly, allowing all the ingredients to cook together at an easy pace, are the ultimate meals in Ayurveda. This dish is good for all three body types as it’s easy to eat and gentle on the digestion. For a more substantial meal, add a little pasta to the soup as it cooks (kapha body types – see p69 – can add buckwheat pasta) or serve with a wholegrain spelt or rye bread roll. I recommend vata body types finish the dish with a spoonful of freshly grated parmesan (or a vegetarian alternative) sprinkled over the top.”
This soup freezes really well. Make a big batch and freeze half in plastic containers for up to 3 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick chicken recipes
Quick lentil, chicken, spring greens and broccoli soup
A soup recipe that’s anything but boring – this quick shortcut supper is bursting with...