Crab, prawn and broccoli tart
- April 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 50-55 minutes to make
A crisp shortcrust pastry is filled with a creamy and cheesy broccoli, prawn and crab filling.
- 375g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 100g broccoli heads
- 200g fresh crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- 2 large eggs
- 100ml reduced-fat crème fraiche
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- ½ finely chopped red chilli
- 100g raw jumbo king prawns, shelled
- 25g freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 220c/fan200c/gas 7. Remove the pastry from the fridge 10 minutes before using. Unroll the pastry and use to line a 35cm x 12cm rectangular tart tin (or use a 20cm round flan tin) and press into the tin and up the sides. Trim off any excess pastry. Line with a sheet of baking parchment and baking beans and bake for 10 minutes, until golden. Remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. Remove the tart case from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 180c/fan160c/gas 4.
- Meanwhile, blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain and refresh under cold water, then drain and dry on kitchen paper. Place the crab, eggs, crème fraiche, some freshly ground black pepper, lemon zest and chopped chilli in a bowl and beat together.
- Pour into the pastry case. Cut the broccoli heads in half and place over the filling with the prawns. Sprinkle with the parmesan and bake for 25-30 minutes until the filling is just set, but still a little soft in the centre. Allow to cool.
Rate & review