Cranberry and apricot stuffing
- January 2009
- Makes 24 stuffing balls
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 35-40 minutes to cook
You can make this stuffing recipe in advance and freeze the balls until you’re ready to use them. Makes enough for a crowd – around 24 balls in total.
- 6.4g (2.7g saturated)
- 8.9g (2.7g sugars)
Per stuffing ball
- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 400g good-quality pork sausagemeat or pork sausages, skins removed
- 100g fresh cranberries
- 100g dried apricots, finely chopped
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 8 fresh sage sprigs, finely chopped
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 5-8 minutes or until softened. Remove from the heat and tip into a mixing bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste. Mix well, you may find it easier to get your hands in so you can mix everything together. Roll into balls and lay on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover with cling film and freeze for a couple of hours until firm, then pop into freezer bags. Label and freeze for up to 1 month.
- To cook, preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Tip the frozen balls onto a greased baking tray and cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
This recipe would also work well with dried cranberries instead of fresh, and try swapping the apricots for dried prunes.
If you want to use the stuffing mixture for the inside of the turkey, make sure you defrost the mixture thoroughly before using. Defrost completely overnight in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Make-ahead Christmas sides
Crispy prosciutto cups with sausage and sage stuffing
These herby sage prosciutto cups take stuffing to the next...
Roast chicken recipes
Roast chicken with sausage, chard and parmesan stuffing
Treat your mum, partner, family or friends to a slap-up...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter