Creamy leek and blue cheese risotto
- February 2014
- for 4 people
- Hands-on time 30 min
This creamy blue cheese risotto uses seasonal leeks, and is ready in just 30 minutes. Proof that risotto doesn’t have to be laborious! We love the combination of the sweet leeks with the salty gorgonzola.
- 22g (7.5g saturated)
- 69g (8.4g sugars)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 300g carnaroli risotto rice
- 250ml dry white wine
- 4 leeks, sliced into 2cm pieces
- A knob of butter
- 10 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 100g gorgonzola dolce cheese
Watch our video to see how it’s made:
- Gently heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan. Fry the onion for 5 minutes until softened but not brown.
- Meanwhile heat the stock in a large pan. Add the rice to the onions, then stir for a minute so the grains are coated in butter and slightly translucent.
- Add the wine and increase the heat to medium-high. Stir until the wine has evaporated, then add a ladleful of the hot stock. Stir until the stock has been absorbed, then add another ladleful. Keep adding stock and stirring until the rice is creamy and cooked but with some bite (it will take about 20 minutes and you may not need all the stock).
- Meanwhile, in another frying pan over a low-medium heat, add the remaining oil, a knob of butter and the thyme leaves. Gently fry for a few minutes until fragrant, then stir in the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Stir the leeks into the risotto when you’re happy with the texture. Stir in the gorgonzola dolce, then taste to check the seasoning. Cover and remove from the heat. Leave for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Get the perfect risotto every time with our top risotto tips.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoked salmon recipes
No-stir lemon, leek, smoked salmon and dill risotto
No need to slave away over risotto – this recipe...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter