Mushroom and blue cheese risotto
- November 2009
- Good knob of butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250g mixed chestnut and button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 shallots, finely diced
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely diced
- 350g risotto rice
- 200ml white wine
- 800ml vegetable stock, hot
- 150ml double cream
- 80g vegetarian Gorgonzola or other vegetarian soft blue cheese, cubed
- Small handful fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat the butter and 1 tbsp of the oil in a pan, add the mushrooms and pan-fry until golden, remove and set aside. Add the remaining oil to the pan and soften the shallots and garlic over a low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and toast for a couple of minutes until opaque, then add the wine and sizzle until absorbed.
- Gradually add the hot stock to the pan, a ladleful at a time, waiting until each ladleful has been absorbed by the rice before adding another. After 20 minutes or so the rice should be cooked to al dente.
- Remove from the heat, stir through the cream and season well with salt and cracked black pepper. Fold through the mushrooms, blue cheese and parsley, then divide among plates and serve.
Chill any leftover risotto overnight, then roll into walnut-size balls and deep fry until golden and crisp.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian comfort food recipes
Baked gnocchi with cream, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce
This recipe of soft, pillowy gnocchi baked in a creamy blue cheese mushroom sauce is...
Russell’s asparagus, gorgonzola, walnut and mint bruschetta
Food writer Russell Norman finds his inspiration in Italy’s beautiful cities and this bruschetta recipe,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...