Crispy potato, carrot, halloumi and harissa fatteh
- September 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 40 min
A plateful of rainbow goodness, this vibrant fatteh salad with a twist makes a perfect midweek dinner option.
Looking for more halloumi recipes? Here’s our collection of squeaky cheese recipes.
- 36.2g (10g saturated)
- 39.9g (16.9g sugars)
- About 400g potato skins from 1.7kg boiled potatoes (see tip)
- 3 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 ½ tsp nigella seeds (see Know-how)
- 750g carrots, peeled and cut into long halves or quarters
- 250g reduced-fat halloumi, cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 tbsp rose harissa paste
- 150g natural yogurt
- 100g mayonnaise
- 300g mixed tomatoes, sliced or halved if small
- ¾ large round or butterhead lettuce, leaves roughly torn
- ⅓ bunch fresh mint, leaves roughly torn
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Toss the potato skins with half the oil and the nigella seeds, then sprinkle with salt on a large baking sheet (see tips).
- Put the carrots on another baking sheet, drizzle with the remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the potato skins and carrots for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and roast for
20 minutes more. After 10 minutes, toss the halloumi with the carrots and return to the oven for the remaining cooking time until everything is golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, mix the harissa, yogurt and mayonnaise with 1-2 tbsp water to loosen.
- >Arrange the potato skins, tomatoes lettuce and mint on a serving platter, drizzle with the dressing and serve.
If you want, leave out the potato skins and toss 3-4 sliced pitta breads with the oil and nigella seeds instead; add to the tin for the last 8 minutes of the cooking time.
Fatteh is a Levantine layered salad, usually made using flatbread, but here using crunchy potato skins.
Nigella seeds, also known as kalonjig or black onion seeds, have a bitter peppery onion flavours and are used in Middle Eastern and Eastern European cookery.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fried halloumi with warm harissa, rice and chickpea salad
Warm harissa works wonderfully with halloumi, chickpeas and rice in...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter