Halloumi and bulgur salad with harissa dressing
- April 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 minutes
The harissa dressing adds spice to this nutritious vegetarian salad recipe of halloumi, bulgur wheat, chickpeas and spinach.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 29.4g (12.7g saturated)
- 75.4g (7.7g sugars)
- 250g bulgur wheat
- 250g halloumi
- Juice of ½ lemon, plus lemon wedges, to serve
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways
- and finely sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 200g baby spinach
- Handful fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
For the harissa dressing
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 150ml natural yogurt
- Place the bulgur wheat in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Cook for 20 minutes, until tender and fluffy. Drain and cool.
- Thinly slice the halloumi and pat dry with kitchen paper. Fry gently in a dry, non-stick frying pan for 2 minutes, until golden and crispy on both sides, turning carefully. Set aside on a plate, then drizzle with the lemon juice and half the oil.
- Toss the cucumber, tomatoes, spinach, mint, onion and chickpeas into the bulgur wheat. Drizzle with the remaining oil and toss again. Season well and divide between plates, with the halloumi.
- Mix the harissa into the yogurt and spoon into small serving saucers. Put 1 on each plate, with some lemon wedges to squeeze over the salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian burger recipes
Griddled vegetable and halloumi burger with chilli yoghurt
A fuss-free, £5 midweek recipe, packed with fresh, summer flavours.
Vegetarian brunch recipes
Crispy halloumi with spicy pepper and tomato salsa
Runny poached eggs, crispy halloumi and sweet cherry tomatoes combine for a breakfast worth getting...