Halloumi and bulgur salad with harissa dressing
- April 2008
- 250g bulgur wheat
- 250g halloumi
- Juice of ½ lemon, plus lemon wedges, to serve
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways
- and finely sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 200g baby spinach
- Handful fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
For the harissa dressing
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 150ml natural yogurt
- Place the bulgur wheat in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Cook for 20 minutes, until tender and fluffy. Drain and cool.
- Thinly slice the halloumi and pat dry with kitchen paper. Fry gently in a dry, non-stick frying pan for 2 minutes, until golden and crispy on both sides, turning carefully. Set aside on a plate, then drizzle with the lemon juice and half the oil.
- Toss the cucumber, tomatoes, spinach, mint, onion and chickpeas into the bulgur wheat. Drizzle with the remaining oil and toss again. Season well and divide between plates, with the halloumi.
- Mix the harissa into the yogurt and spoon into small serving saucers. Put 1 on each plate, with some lemon wedges to squeeze over the salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian burger recipes
Griddled vegetable and halloumi burger with chilli yoghurt
A fuss-free, £5 midweek recipe, packed with fresh, summer flavours.
Vegetarian brunch recipes
Crispy halloumi with spicy pepper and tomato salsa
Runny poached eggs, crispy halloumi and sweet cherry tomatoes combine...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter