Dairy-free orange ice cream
- September 2004
- Serves 6
- Takes 1 hour to make, plus cooling and freezing
Soya custard and cream create a rich texture that’s perfect for ice cream, this recipe comes served with a caramel and cardamom brittle.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 16.5g (2.3g saturated)
- 68g (64.6g sugars)
- 4 large oranges
- 500ml soya single cream
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp Cointreau, or similar orange liqueur
- 500ml Alpro soya dairy-free alternative to custard
For the caramel and cardamom brittle
- 125g caster sugar
- Pinch of roughly crushed cardamom seeds
- Scrub the oranges well and grate the zest. Put three-quarters of the zest into a pan with the soya cream and sugar. Gently warm the mixture over a very low heat for about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Juice 3 of the oranges and pour into a measuring jug. Remove all skin and pith from the remaining orange and segment over the jug to catch any juice. Set the segments aside, put the juice into a small pan and bring to the boil. Simmer to reduce by half, then cool completely.
- Purée the segments and remaining zest, then add the Cointreau and soya custard. Strain the soya cream mix into the custard mixture, discarding the zest. Stir in the orange juice. Churn in an ice cream machine, following the manufacturer’s instructions, or pour the mixture into a freezer-proof container and freeze until almost solid. Then blitz it in a food processor to break down the ice crystals, then re-freeze. Either serve straight from the machine or put in the fridge until soft enough to scoop.
- To make the caramel and cardamom brittle, line a baking sheet with foil. Put the sugar in a pan with 5 tablespoons of boiling water and allow it to dissolve. Add the cardamom and bring to a fast boil until it turns a pale caramel colour. Pour onto the foil. When cold, break the brittle into shards and decorate the ice cream with them.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Frozen dessert recipes
Banana and coconut no-churn ice cream with brandy and caramel sauce
Creamy banana ice-cream topped with a boozy caramel sauce; the ultimate luxurious dessert.