Dishoom’s gunpowder potatoes
- September 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 12-15 min
Indian restaurant Dishoom’s gunpowder potatoes make a simple side with outstanding results. Adjust the spices to suit your own palate and serve as part of an Indian-inspired feast.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 11.3g (3.7g saturated)
- 20.9g (2.9g sugars)
- 500g baby new potatoes
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil for brushing
- 25g butter, melted
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 5g fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 3 green chillies, finely chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 tsp kebab masala
You’ll also need…
- Pestle and mortar
- Boil a large pan of salted water. Add the potatoes and cook until just tender – 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast all the seeds in a hot dry frying pan for 2 minutes until fragrant. Crush them in a pestle and mortar, then set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and steam dry in the colander for a minute.
- Heat the grill to high. Put the potatoes on a baking tray. Brush with oil and grill until crispy and browned – 5-7 minutes. Turn the potatoes over and repeat to
crisp and colour the other side.
- Put the crushed spices in a large bowl with the melted butter, spring onions, coriander and chillies.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill and divide each one in half, using a metal spoon so you create rough edges. Put the potatoes straight into the spice bowl and toss until well combined.
- Add the sea salt, lime juice and kebab masala, adjusting them to taste, then serve.
This recipe has been taken from Dishoom’s new cookery book, Dishoom: From Bombay with Love. Order yourself a copy here.
Rate & review