Double chocolate pancake stack
- February 2021
- Serves 4-6 (Makes around 14)
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus resting
Calling all chocolate lovers: behold this chocolate pancake stack drizzled with chocolate sauce! Could Pancake Day get any more decadent?
…Perhaps not, but this pancake stack with caramelised bananas and Nutella-style sauce and this chocolate and hazelnut pancake cake valiantly give it a shot.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 21.8g (11.8g saturated)
- 51.2g (30.8g sugars)
- 150g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 60g caster sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 180ml semi-skimmed milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Chocolate chunks, mini marshmallows and biscuit crumbs to serve (optional; see tips)
For the chocolate sauce
- 200g Nutella
- 125ml double cream
You’ll also need
- Pastry brush or kitchen paper
- Put the flour, cocoa, baking powder, sugar and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl, then whisk to combine. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, whisk in the eggs, then pour over the milk and whisk again until smooth and combined. Rest the batter in the fridge for 30 minutes (see Make Ahead).
- To make the chocolate sauce, gently heat the Nutella and cream in a pan, stirring until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat (see tip). Re-warm to melt again before serving, if needed.
- 3 Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, add a little oil and use a pastry brush or kitchen paper to wipe it across the base of the pan. Scoop small ladlefuls of batter into the pan and cook for about 1 minute on each side. Set aside, covered, to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding a little more oil to the pan as needed (see Make Ahead).
- Drizzle the chocolate sauce over the pancakes and serve sprinkled with a rocky road topping if you like (see tip).
For a boozy kick, add 3 tbsp of your favourite nut or coffee liqueur – such as Frangelico or Kahlúa – to the sauce after the Nutella has melted and the pan is off the heat.
For a triple-choc, rocky road treat, sprinkle a mixture of mini marshmallows, chopped Twirl or Flake chocolate, white chocolate chunks or biscuit crumbs on top of the sauce just before serving.
The batter will sit in the fridge, covered, for several hours. Stir well before using. Freeze the cooked pancakes, well wrapped, for up to a month. Heat through in a toaster, pan or microwave when you’re ready.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet pancake recipes
Banana, peanut butter and chocolate pancake fritters
Try pancakes stuffed with banana, peanut butter and chocolate and then deep fried in this...