Smoked salmon, fennel and clementine salad
- December 2017
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 25 min
The refreshing flavours of clementine and fennel cut through the salty richness of the smoked salmon perfectly in this Christmas salad recipe. It would make a fine Christmas starter served with crusty bread.
Need something a little heartier? Take a look at all our Christmas salad recipes.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 18.4g (2.5g saturated)
- 5.3g (5.1g sugars)
- 60g pine nuts
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 8 clementines, peeled and thinly sliced horizontally
- Large bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 400g smoked salmon, torn
- 120g rocket
For the dressing
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
- Juice 1 lemon
- 150ml extra-virgin olive oil
- For the dressing, mix the shallot, mustard, sugar, capers and lemon juice in a jug, then slowly whisk in the oil until thickened. Taste, season and add a splash of water, if necessary, to loosen.
- In a small frying pan, toast the pine nuts over a low heat until golden. Mix with the other salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss with the dressing. Divide equally among plates and serve.
Make the dressing up to 48 hours ahead, cover and chill. Peel the clementines in the morning and store in the fridge on a plate, covered loosely with damp kitchen paper and cling film.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury pancake recipes
Horseradish pancakes with smoked salmon and dill sauce
Who said pancakes have to be sweet? We’ve topped these savoury buttermilk pancakes with smoked...
Fennel and smoked salmon salad with sourdough croutons
This quick and easy fennel and smoked salmon salad with sourdough croutons is substantial enough...
Make-ahead Christmas sides
Don't spend Christmas Day in the kitchen, use...
Make-ahead Christmas starters
Need a festive head-start? Don't we all. Here's...
Winter salad recipes
For nourishing meals with a little extra oomph,...
December seasonal recipes
Apart from the fact that it's a month...
Fennel is at its best between June and...