Five-spice duck with ginger, onion and orange salad
- November 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 mins, plus 20 mins cooking time
The tangy ginger, onion and orange salad makes the perfect accompaniment to this oriental duck recipe.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 16.5g (5g saturated)
- 34.2g (30.9g sugars)
- 4 duck breasts, with skin
- 2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 3 oranges
- 4 balls of stem ginger, chopped, plus 4 tbsp ginger syrup from the jar
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/ gas 5. Slash the skin of the duck breasts, place in a bowl and rub in the five-spice and some seasoning.
- Heat an ovenproof pan over a medium heat, add the duck, skin-side down, and cook for 10 minutes until crispy. Drain off the fat, turn the duck breasts over and drizzle the honey over the skin. Transfer to the oven for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, put the onion in a bowl, cover with boiling water, leave for 5 minutes, then drain. Peel the oranges, then cut between the membranes to release the skinless segments.
- Warm the ginger, syrup, onion, orange segments and sherry vinegar in a frying pan, then stir in the coriander. Slice the duck and serve with the warm salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...