Goat’s cheese and barley risotto with winter greens
- January 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 20-25 min
We’ve swapped rice for pearl barley in this cheesy risotto recipe for a slightly nuttier texture and flavour. This is a fabulous vegetarian main that would really impress at a dinner party.
Love a barley risotto? Then see our mushroom and spinach pearl barley risotto recipe too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 34.4g (14.9g saturated)
- 45.1g (14.8g sugars)
- Light olive oil or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 savoy cabbage, cut into quarters
- 300g brussels sprouts, halved if large
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g pearl barley
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml white wine
- 400ml whole milk
- 100g sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 100g taleggio cheese (or vegetarian alternative)
- 100g goat’s cheese
- Bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 50g vegetarian parmesan-style cheese
- In a large flameproof casserole, heat a glug of oil over a high heat, then sear the cabbage and sprouts until browned all over (about 3 minutes). Set aside.
- Reduce the heat, add the onion, then fry gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softening. Add the garlic and pearl barley, then stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a minute, then pour in the wine. Turn up the heat and bubble for a minute, stirring with a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat and add the milk, then simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring every so often, until the sauce thickens and the barley softens.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, taleggio and goat’s cheese. Stir for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted, then stir in the basil. Arrange the cabbage pieces and sprouts on top. Grate over the hard cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Leftovers will keep covered and chilled for up to 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
February seasonal recipes
Honey-roast jerusalem artichoke, parsnip and pearl barley salad with grilled goat’s cheese
A warming salad recipe of roasted Jerusalem artichokes, parsnips and pear barley, topped off with...
Whole baked cauliflower with pearl barley, wild mushrooms and cheese
An impressive cauliflower cheese-inspired recipe made heartier with pearl barley and wild mushrooms. This is...