Asparagus and lemon risotto
- June 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 5 mins, 30 mins cooking time, plus standing
This delicious asparagus and lemon risotto is a budget summer recipe that works out at around £1.50 per head. It’s a great make-ahead dish as it freezes very well.
And for next time, try our version with asparagus, pea and mint.
- 14.1g (5.7g saturated)
- 75.2g (4.2g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 350g risotto rice
- 250ml glass white wine
- 750ml vegetable stock, hot (we like Knorr)
- Bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- Pared zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 75g Parmesan or Grana Padano, finely grated
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan over a low heat. Add the onion and gently fry for 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium, add the rice and cook for a few minutes. Add the wine and stir until absorbed.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring and allowing each addition to absorb before adding the next. Blanch the asparagus in a pan of boiling water until just tender, refresh under cold water, then slice into lengths.
- When almost cooked, add the asparagus, lemon zest and juice and cheese. Season, remove from the heat. Cover for 5 minutes before serving.
Shape any leftover risotto into small balls with a piece of mozzarella inside, coat in egg and breadcrumbs and shallow-fry for a delicious snack.
The risotto will freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost before reheating.
Rate & review