Grapefruit and watermelon salad
- August 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 25 minutes to make, plus 20 minutes’ marinating
This refreshing grapefruit and watermelon salad recipe is low in calories and fat and high in vitamin C.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.7g (2.9g saturated)
- 64.3g (42.5g sugar)
- 1 whole lemon, plus the coarsely grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 pink grapefruits
- ½ small watermelon, peeled, cut into 1.5cm slices, then into tortilla-size triangles
- 150g ricotta, drained, or vegetarian alternative
- 100g unrefined caster sugar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 60g watercress, large stalks removed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Pare the zest from the whole lemon and segment it by slicing the top and bottom off, using a sharp knife, then slice away the outer skin with even downward strokes. Discard the skin and pith and cut between the membranes to free up the segments, then finely chop. Discard the membranes. Peel and segment the grapefruits in the same way but don’t chop. Set aside the grapefruit and chopped lemon separately.
- Put the watermelon pieces in a large bowl, add the lemon juice and season well to taste. Set aside for 20 minutes to marinate.
- In another bowl, mix the ricotta with half the lemon zest and season.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Put the sugar into a saucepan with 100ml water and stir over a gentle heat until dissolved. Bring to the boil and bubble for 5 minutes, until syrupy.
- Remove from the heat, and immediately stir in the juices from the watermelon (if the sugar syrup seizes, stir over heat until it dissolves). When the dressing is cool, stir in the remaining lemon zest, the finely chopped lemon and mint.
- To serve, divide the watermelon, grapefruit segments, watercress and red onion between plates. Drizzle with the dressing and dot the lemon ricotta over the top of the salad. Serve with crusty bread to mop up the dressing.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...